Thursday 9 February 2012

Coconut and Jam Sponge Cake Slices

When I was little, I used to love those little slices of cake, that were covered in jam and sprinkled with coconut. Recently I have tried to find out what they were called, as I remember they used to have a specific name for them, but no one has been able to answer my question! Therefore, for the purpose of this blog, they have now adopted the rather simplistic name of 'Coconut and Jam Sponge Cake Slices' ...catchy ey?!

Anyway, this is a very simple recipe for a traditional classic cake. Hence, I have decided that it will be the prefect sweet treat to take into school for the lovely ladies this week. 

***


Ingredients


(I used my roasting tin 23cm square, makes 16 BIG cakey cubes)

8oz Butter
8oz Caster Sugar
10oz Self Raising Flour
2tsp Baking Powder
2tsp Vanilla Extract
4 Eggs
4tbsp Milk
4-6tbsp Jam (I used raspberry)
A good sprinkling of Dessicated Coconut

1. Preheat the oven to 160degreesC and line the base of your cake tin.

2. Place the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and cream until soft and smooth.

3. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix with a wooden spoon.

4. In a jug, beat the eggs, add the milk and drop in the vanilla extract. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly until it resembles a smooth cake mix.

5. Pour into the cake tin and place in the oven. Bake for around 45mins or until firm to the touch and golden brown. 

6. Allow to cool in the tin for around 15mins then remove and place on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely.

7. When the cake is completely cool, evenly spread the jam all over the top of the sponge.

8. Scatter/sprinkle on the dessicated coconut to give a snowy effect. Make sure all of the jam is covered in coconut.

9. Cut into around 25 squares.

***

This has to be one of my favourite, simple, child friendly cakes! The sponge is super soft and crumbly, the jam smooth and sweet and the coconut is fab at adding a different texture and a creamy after taste. Simply made, simply yummy! This recipe is so simple, that to not try it would be a travesty.


The important bit is making sure you get the right ratio of sponge : jam : coconut so that when you cut your cubes, you can see the lovely different layers. Maybe that's one thing I would improve if I were to do it again - less sponge, although Andy wolfed it down, so don't think he particularly minded!!


Bon Appetit!!

3 comments:

  1. ooh these do look lovely! They're a little similar to Lamingtons I think. I had a go at making strawberry and chocolate ones http://princeproductions.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/13-lovely-lamingtons-australia-lord-lamingtons-finest/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to help out in an old peoples home on a saturday when I was a teenager and the cook used to have me make a tray baked sponge in the morning for afternoon tea. Used to do a topping like this about once a month. Was great fun making these :o) These cakes look delicious :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. going to try and make this tomorrow. looks yummy!

    Jessie xx

    jrvintageblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete