I absolutely hate Peanut Butter. I can't stand the stuff. It leaves your mouth with a dry feeling that makes you want to click your tongue at the top of your mouth to make a silly noise...however, put a bit of sugar in it and I find myself addicted to the stuff (Reese's Peanut Butter Cups = YUM!!!) as I found when my sister made a batch of Peanut Butter Cookies for a vegan picnic we had at Kearsney Abbey a little while ago. Peanut Butter Cookies are the most scrumptious sweet biscuit and this is a very simple recipe to follow.
4oz Plain Flour
1.2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
Pinch of Salt
4 1/2 oz Light Brown Sugar (or Dark Brown if you want a 'fudgy' taste
8oz Crunchy Peanut Butter (crunchy is better than smooth)
1. Sift the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a small mixing bowl.
2. In a separate, larger mixing bowl, beat the butter until light and smooth.
3. Add the sugar and mix.
4. Beat in the egg and stir in the peanut butter.
5. Pour the dry ingredients into the larger bowl with the wet ingredients and combine until mixed thoroughly.
6. Pre heat the oven to 180degreesC.
7. Cover the mixing bowl with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30mins.
8. Using a teaspoon of mixture at a time, roll into a ball and flatten with the palm of your hand into a round cookie shape.
9. Spread the cookies out on the baking tray and continue until all of the mixture has been used.
10. Cook for 15mins or until golden and darker around the egdes. (They will still be slightly soft to the touch.)
11. Allow to cool on a wire baking rack.
Due to the high fat content of these cookies (boohoo!) they are very greasy to the touch, but taste sooooo good. They are super nice as a dessert with some vanilla ice cream. The chunky peanut butter makes such a difference as it adds another dimension to the texture. Oh, and also, don't be afraid to use really cheap peanut butter (that you probably wouldn't eat on its own) as the extra sugar and fat makes the cheapness unnoticeable. These biscuits are perfect as a sweet treat for anybody who is currently fasting from chocolate like Andy and I. Yum-meeeeee!!!!