I have recently bought a massive, classical cookery book (which I will post a review of sometime soon) and as I was looking through it, I was looking for some inspiration for a savoury snack/treat that I could make for lunch. I saw the recipe for a Sausage and Apple Plait, which just looked gorgeous, but really, really hard!! A lot of time would be required to do the precise pastry work, and I quickly lose my patience, get hot hands and mess up the pastry, sooooooo....I thought of an adaptation to this recipe, that was just as yummy...Sausage and Onion Rolls.
450g Sausage Meat
2 Garlic Cloves
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
500g Puff Pastry (YES, I used ready made BUT so does Jamie Oliver!!)
1. Preheat the oven to 200degreesC.
2. Lightly fry the onion and garlic in some oil until transparent and add the worcestershire sauce. Stir thoroughly and then take off the heat and allow to cool for 5mins or so.
3. Massage the onion and garlic mixture into the sausage meat.
4. Roll out the pastry into a long rectangle. Slice into 2 to make it easier to manipulate on the work surface.
5. Now, this is the messy bit coming up - grab about half the sausage meat and roll out into a long thin sausage on top of the rectangular pastry. Make sure the meat is right up close to one edge of the pastry and slowly grab the edge of the pastry and roll over the sausage meat, continuing to roll until all there is only a thin strip left.
6. At this point you need to beat the egg and using a pastry brush lightly glaze the edge of the pastry as it will act like a glue, making the sausage 'roll' take form and stay together.
7. Then place the sausage roll on a baking tray and squish into a nice shape. Continue to glaze the top of the sausage roll with the egg wash (this will make it nice and crisp and golden) then with a sharp knife, slice a little pattern into the pastry - just for prettiness sake!! Bake in the oven for about 30mins or until piping hot throughout and goldenly crisp.
I was actually so gobsmacked at how big and good they turned out!! When debating what size to cut them to, Andy said that bigger is best so I went for 'Greggs' sized sausage rolls, whereas I would have been quite happy with picnic sized ones, guess this is just down to personal preference really. I feel like I cheated a little bit, what with using ready made pastry, but it's just getting a bit awkward on the old fridge space, what with living with 3 other girls, who also need to use the fridge! (Although I feel I should get priority on space because I make YUMMY YUMMY food!!)