Thursday 20 October 2011

Lamb Hotpot

When I did GCSE Food Technology, I decided to do my main project on potato based ready made products. I had to buy, taste and evaluate a range of ready made meals (gives me shivers now). We never really ate ready meals - even when Mum or Dad weren't there, my sister and I would still make something ourselves. It was only when I had to start food shopping for myself that I experimented with the ready made rubbish that is on sale now. One of the products I evaluated was a hotpot and it was horrid! Was basically mush. It really put me off hotpots, but I have decided to give a home made version a go. I have never tried a home made hotpot, so to me, this tastes fab!!

***

Ingredients

300g Lamb
Sunflower Oil
1 Onion
1 tbsp Plain Flour
250ml Hot Water
50ml Red Wine
Glugs of Worcestershire Sauce
Salt
Pepper
4 Medium Potatoes
Butter

1. Pre heat the oven to 170degrees C.

2. Gently fry the lamb in a large saucepan with the oil until all sides are lightly grey. Place the lamb into a casserole dish and leave on the side.

3. Fry the onion in the leftover oil and fat from the the lamb. When the onion starts to turn slightly brown at the edges, stir in the flour until combined. Pour in the wine, water and worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep on the heat until thickened and simmering. Pour on top of the lamb in the casserole dish.

4. Peel and slice the potatoes, layering them on top of the lamb. Add a few knobs of butter on the top and season with salt and pepper again. Place the lid on top and put in the oven. Allow to cook for 1hour.

5. Remove the lid and cook at 200degrees C for another 30mins or until the potatoes are golden and crisp.

***

Lamb really is a treat at the moment, it's far too expensive to make a regular meal, especially when it is as scrumptious and succulent as this! I tend to find that up until a certain point, the longer you cook lamb, the nicer it tastes. I was so proud with this dish, considering it was the first time I had baked it. Maybe a glug or two extra of the red wine would make it that bit nicer, but other than that, this is the perfect winter warmer and a great wholesome meal for the whole family. Presentation wise - looks fab in the casserole dish, but when I served up it all went everywhere...maybe a tsp or 2 more flour needed? Still, I don't care, it was flipping gorgeous!!


Bon Appetit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment