Thursday 20 October 2011

Sweet Roasted Carrots and Parsnips

When applying for Uni, there were many reasons why Sunderland swung the decision for me (one of them being to get as far away as possible from 'home') one of them being that I had some friends of a friend that lived pretty much in the city centre, that I know would be more than willing to help me out, if ever I needed to be. When I moved up here they invited me round for dinner and asked if there was anything in particular that I would like to eat I obviously suggested a roast!! (I feel like it is important to add here that these friends were American.) When I arrived I was greeted by a whole table FULL of food with lots of different vegetables. My favourite had to be their sweet roasted carrots and parsnips....a modern twist on a classic accompaniment to a roast, but something I find typically American - sweet and calorific!!

***

Ingredients

3 Parsnips
3 Carrots
1 tbsp Golden Syrup/Honey
2tbsp Sunflower Oil
Salt

1. Pre heat the oven to 200degrees C.

2. Pour the oil and syrup into a roasting tin and heat in the oven.

3. Chop the parsnips and carrots into thin slices/chunks. Boil in a pan of salted water until soft to the touch.

4. Stir the carrots and parsnips into the syrup and oil mixture, making sure all sides of each piece is coated in the sugary goodness. Cook for about 30mins or until roasted and crispy. The sugar will boil and burn so the veg will look dark and flipping gorgeous!! TUCK IN!!

***

Perfect if you are trying to impress, or just fancy something different with your roast. Plus, if you have these with your main, I tend to find that you don't really need/fancy a dessert afterwards.


Bon Appetit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment